It all started as a small canteen keeping in mind to cater needs of the students of the nearby National High School and Acharya Patashala. Venkataramana Ural, from a place called Saligrama near Udupi, set this up in early 1943-44. Passed on to the hands of his brother Parameshwara Ural, the restaurant bloomed to its demand.
In 1970, Vidyarthi Bhavan was taken over by Ramakrishna Adiga who hailed from Shankaranaryana, a village near Kundapur. What changed was just the management, but the name, tradition, recipes remained the same so was the services of many of the employees. The overflowing demand and its profound popularity shall be the prudent evidence for its unchanging taste, flavor & delicacy.