Cuddled in the lush surroundings and nestled right in the heart of the Blue Mountains, is our Club Mahindra Derby Green, the Ooty resort of Tamil Nadu. Here, in this pristine environment, you’ll understand why Ooty is known as the Queen of Hills Stations. The Nilgiris or the Blue Mountains are part of the Western Ghats and the dense forests surrounding the rich biodiversity hot spot, the Nilgiri Biosphere Reserve.
The summer capital of the British, Ooty was once home to the tribal peoples of Todas, Badagas, Irulas, and Kurumbas, who enriched the region with their culture. The best time to visit Ooty with your family is from October to June when the temperature is around 25 ° C.
Spread over five and a half acres of meadows overlooking the racecourse, this resort is one of the most beautiful resorts in Ooty, because it’s bound to take your breath away with every scenic wonder you’ve come across.
Located at a distance of 165 km. From Mysore and only 95 km from Coimbatore, a holiday in Udhagamandalam or Ootacamund or Ooty – as the British called it – will take you to a world of emerald-tinted lakes and forests. The rooms at the Ooty resort offer a lovely view of the surrounding natural beauty.
And when you step out of your room, you’re going to find a variety of things to do. You can take a quick dip in the resort’s swimming pool or just take a relaxing massage to the spa. If you’re hungry, you can make your way to our in-house restaurant and try food from all over the world.
Club Mahindra Derby Green, Ooty is the most beautiful of all the Ooty resorts that give you the opportunity to enjoy a leisurely stroll in the middle of nature, sip a hot cup of tea and soak in the beauty of the flowers. It also allows you to become a kid, all over again, and take a toy train ride to the woods of the shola. Ooty is a destination that will come back to you again and again.
Rooms & amenities
Club Mahindra’s Derby Green Resort in Ooty is nestled in the mountains and surrounded by colorful gardens, green meadows and panoramic views of the hills. Our rooms in the Ooty resort offer a view of the horses trotting below, preparing themselves for the big race!
The heritage property and landmark of Ooty, Derby Green offers you 89 cozy relaxing rooms. The flowers will bloom around you and the birds will chirp. The rooms come with a tea/coffee maker, a microwave and other modern amenities to make you feel at home. And if you’re traveling with a baby, the resort will arrange for milk free of charge.
The lawns summon you to sit down with a book in hand, the spa attracts you to relaxing massages, and the gym suggests that you reinvigorate your stiff muscles. For entertainment, you can take part in a variety of holiday activities at our Derby Green resort in Ooty. And when your tummy growls, you have to head to the resort’s restaurant to satisfy your hunger.
Local food & festivals
Food In Ooty
Tamil local cuisine is tasty, fragrant and full of surprises. When you talk about food in Ooty, it’s essential to mention soft idlis and crunchy doses. Chorus or hot rasam rice is a must-have dish with crispy vadas and chutney during the winter season. Other local delicacies include aval or puffed rice with tea. Puttu or Kozhakattai are the favorite breakfast items here.
Besides vegetarian dishes, you can also enjoy the local chicken curry in our restaurant. In Ooty, the food is relatively stirred by the people of Badaga. Their chicken curry, Koi Udakka, tastes brilliant with hot rice. You must also try some delicious garlic and onion side dishes called Belle or Eera Benguvae Sandage.
There’s also fish curry here for those who like fish. The chefs at our Ooty resort will ensure that you can enjoy authentic Tamil dishes at our Ooty resort; they will also prepare special meals for children when needed. If you’re a fan of desserts, head over to Ooty’s special bakeries. Later, treat your taste buds with our delicious homemade chocolates.
Festivals In Ooty
The Tamilnadu Tourism Department is organizing the Tea and Tourism Festival in January for three days. During this time, tourists visit the plantations and factories and buy tea according to their preferences. In February, locals and holidaymakers rush to Ooty in large groups to celebrate Thaipoosam in the Elk Hill Murugan Temple.
The temples of Ooty and Coonoor, dedicated to the goddess Mariamman, the goddess of Rain, celebrate the city’s annual festival in her admiration in the month of April. At Club Mahindra Derby Green, Ooty resort, you and your family can see and celebrate these lively Ooty festivals and enjoy special festivities prepared for the occasion.
Plan a vacation with the Club Mahindra Derby Green Resort in Ooty and enjoy a pleasant and memorable stay at our children’s resort in Ooty, Tamil Nadu.
Our Club Mahindra Derby Green, Ooty resort offers fun activities for every kind of traveler. Whether you like to embark upon adventurous journeys or simply stay where you are and relax, the resort ensures that you have plenty of things to do in Ooty.
If you want to stay indoors and relax, head to the activity center and enjoy playing board games, volleyball or table tennis with your family.
Our Ooty resort ensures you enjoy every minute of your holiday. On a bright, sunny day, head out for a quiet bird-watching tour to see over 250 rare bird species. If you’re a nature lover, our guide will take you on adventurous hikes in the nearby jungles. You’re going to be able to see dams and plantations on your way.
Scenic Trails which you can’t miss around Derby Green Resort In Ooty
Club Mahindra Derby Green, Ooty is helping you admire the beauty of the city. There are so many places to visit in Ooty that you might even have to spend your vacation to see every scenic corner of this heavenly land.
- Doddabetta In Ooty – Since Doddabetta is the first peak in the Nilgiris, it’s a great trekking destination. Once you reach the top, you’ll get a bird’s eye view of the entire city! Thus, sightseeing in Ooty would be incomplete without a trip to Doddabetta.
- Pykara Lake In Ooty – Pykara Lake is one of the most sparkling lakes in Ooty. Here you can rent a boat and sail away to discover the nearby locations.
- Moyar Gorge In Ooty – The vision of the Moyar River gushing into a 20-km valley and eventually flowing into the Moyar Waterfall is a treat for the eyes.
- Ooty Botanical Gardens – Spread over 55 acres, this garden is a must-see spot. It offers you an endless variety of colorful flora and fauna.
- Mudumalai National Park In Ooty – If you love animals, make your way to Mudumalai National Park and meet the sloth of bears, gauntlets, elephants and other creatures that have inhabited the park.
While you’re enjoying the charming beauty, don’t miss the South Indian delicacies served at our Ooty resort. Become a kid in your heart and take a toy train ride to all the lesser-known hill stations.
Best Heritage of Tamil Nadu In Ooty Resort
Although Ooty is the Queen of Hill Stations, you‘ll find yourself surrounded by countless churches, temples, and museums. The ethnic tribes who have lived here have contributed immensely to the construction of the heritage of Tamil Nadu.
- Elk Hill Murugan Temple In Ooty – This temple is well known for its annual Thaipoosam festival. The sanctuary is a copy of the temple inside the Caves of Batu in Malaysia.
- St. Stephens Church, Ooty – Locals say that the wood used to make this church in the 19th century was brought from the palace of Tipu Sultan in Srirangapatna. It’s one of the most beautiful churches in Nilgiris.
- Toda Temple In Ooty – To explore the culture of the tribe of Toda, you must visit the local settlements. The Activity Manager at our Ooty resort will take you to the nearest Toda Temple.
The heritage of Ooty has been preserved and cherished by locals of all ages. And what better place to explore than Club Mahindra Derby Green, a resort in Ooty? You and your family are bound to have a great time with us.
Reasons to visit Derby Green Resort In Ooty
- Premium mountain resort located in Ooty, spread over more than five acres of landscaped gardens, overlooking the racecourse.
- 91 well-furnished rooms categorized as Mini Studios and Studios.
- Room amenities include 26-inch LCD cable TV and 24-hour room service.
- F&B areas include a multi-cuisine restaurant, a lounge, and a bar.
- Recreational facilities include a spa, an activity center, watching magic performances, indoor games such as carrom board, chess, ludo, playing cards, scrabble and table tennis.
- The activities offered include cooking classes, cocktail/mocktail dance and vegetable carving.
- Other facilities include on-call doctor and laundry
- Recommended for family holidays.
How to Reach
- By Air – The preferred airport is Coimbatore (CJB): 34.5 mi/55.6 km. Distances from the property’s location to the airport are straight-line distances and may not reflect the actual travel distance.
- By Road – The Ooty bus stand or the Udhagamandalam Central Bus Stand is a brief 10-minute drive from the resort. It is the main bus stand in the Nilgiri district and operates the state-run Tamil Nadu State Road Transport Corporation (TNSRTC) buses to Coimbatore, Erode, Salem, Tirupur, Kumbakonam apart from buses to Trichy, Kanyakumari, Trivandrum, Chennai, Bangalore, Mysore, Hassan among others. No private operators have the licence to serve this district.
- By Train – The Mettupalayam railway station at about 50 km from Club Mahindra Derby Green Ooty is the nearest railhead. Mettupalayam in the suburb of Coimbatore is a part of the Southern Railway Zone and an important railway station because the Nilgiri Mountain Railway commences from here. From Mettupalayam, all you have to do is cross the platform to board a Nilgiri Mountain Railway train. After crossing the Bhavani River, the train starts its uphill climb and winds its way past several smaller stations before halting at Coonoor, an important station where the train needs to reverse a short distance before continuing its ascend to Ooty.
Popular Landmarks Nearby
- Ooty Lake – 0.9 km
- Ooty Rose Garden – 6 min drive, 1 mi/1.6 km
- St. Stephen’s Church – 1.5 km
- Botanical Gardens – 12 min drive, 2 mi/3.3 km
- Doddabetta Peak – 29 min drive, 6.4 mi/10.2 km
- Nilgiri Hills Ooty Lake: 8 min walk, 0.4 mi/0.7 km
- Thread Garden: 5 min drive, 1.2 mi/1.9 km
- Mudumalai National Park: 39-min drive, 11 mi/17.7 km
- Sim’s Park: 46-min drive, 12.3 mi/19.8 km
- Government Museum: 8-min drive, 1.3 mi/2 km
- Hotel Maneck Residency
- RK Holiday Home
- Desantosh Residency
- Hotel Maneck
- Tulips Elkhill Resorts